Thursday, February 17, 2011

Heat of the Moment

(When the Lack of Common Sense Leaves you Cents-less)


Working in the towing industry, I've came across many towing horror stories. I’ve heard of just about everything, from trailers coming uncoupled, to vehicle exhaust burning up treasured possessions. Although there are times when the equipment is to blame, the problem normally lies with the careless preparation of the person that these tragedies affect. Often these mistakes occur when feeling rushed or excited.

I've had a few close calls myself.  A couple years back I bought a used Harley that I needed to trailer home to do some jet work on the carburetor.  In the midst of all the excitement I hastily grabbed some straps, hooked up the trailer, and headed to pick it up.  When I drove the bike up on the trailer I noticed that one of the ratchets on the straps was rather rusty.  Mistakenly, I didn't ask the seller if he had an extra strap I could use.  Around 20 miles down the road I looked back and couldn't see the bike.  At that moment my knees went weak, and I felt more nauseous than a dog with a grass filled stomach. I pulled over and ran back to the trailer. Luckily the bike I just dropped thousands of dollars on had only tipped over and suffered minimal scratches. I wasn't able to see it due to the tall rails on the trailer.

Improper loading of trailers and cargo carriers can also wreak havoc on your vacation and your wallet. A few months ago I spoke with a person who loaded up his family and set out on a cross-country vacation. While getting ready for this excursion, he realized that they needed more cargo room than his SUV could provide. To accommodate for this, he purchased a cargo carrier. When it came time to leave he loaded up all of their suitcases on the cargo carrier, cinched them down and left. The poor guy got about 12hrs into his journey when his family noticed the foul smell of burning plastic. Once stopped, he could see 3 ft flames in his rear view mirror. He then realized that the carrier and the exhaust on his vehicle were parallel with each other. Not only did they lose precious traveling time, they had to replace all of the clothing and belongings they packed in order to continue their trek.

Times are tight, and for most families fitting a vacation into the budget is difficult to near impossible. Every dollar counts and the last thing you need is to spend money you don't have just so you can have clean underwear. Understandably, the shear excitement of a break from reality can cloud your judgment. To quote Star Wars: “You will know, when you are calm, at peace, passive.”-Yoda.  So before you leave on your next excursion, take the time to look over the smaller details.

Travis Mai - Hitch Guy ™

For more info on towing and towing lifestyles please visit: www.hitchinfo.com and "Like" us on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment